Training Information for Plano Photography Club Members
Classes start at 6:00 PM and end at 7:00 PM
Location of Rooms: Church Map
No Classes in December.
Class Schedule for January 16, 2020
- New and Prospective Member Orientation - Room 5
- Ask Me Anything -Library
- Competition Mentoring for Beginners - Room 7 (Ongoing Class)
- Photography Fundamentals - Room 8
Descriptions of Current Classes
New And Prospective Member Orientation
Led by Carol Barlow and Mary Jean Blevins.
The leaders will familiarize new and prospective members with information such as how to join, an overview of the web sites, the purpose of the competition, and an overview of the monthly contest process, and club events and field trips. You do not need to register, just show up.
This class is offered at each meeting.
NEW - ASK ME ANYTHING
Instructor: Dennis Fritsche
Class Availability: Open to all
Class Duration: Through April 2020
Sign-up: Not Required
Description: This is an open session to discuss anything photographic - cameras, Lightroom, color management, technique, gear, printing, travel planning, back-up strategies, whatever. If I don't know, someone else in the room will. A great place to learn something new. If you have a problem image or one you want to improve, bring a high-resolution copy on a memory stick and we will see what we can do - or email it to me at email@example.com.
Photography Fundamentals Study Group
The purpose of this Plano Photography Club (PPC) Study Group is to provide a basic understanding of photography and the workings of photographic equipment to enhance the participants' ability to capture technically 'better' images, to be more creative, to determine what ‘equipment’ they need and to use various software platforms to display and/or enhance their photographs.
This group, limited to the first 6 participants signing up, will meet (about) every two weeks, on a Thursday night, for a total of six times at the West Plano Presbyterian Church beginning Jan 16th, 2020. Participation in all sessions is essential as 'make up' opportunities are limited and most of the sessions build upon prior sessions ‘information.’
The group will participate in lectures, discussions, workshops, and sharing their images in the following areas:
1. “Stuff” the participants can do on their own to become better photographers. One hour beginning at 6:00 pm on Jan 16th before the January PPC meeting.
2. The Exposure Triangle – the ‘use’ of ISO, shutter speed, f/stop for better exposures, enhanced creativity and dealing with difficult lighting situations. Two hours beginning at 7:00 pm on Feb 6th.
3. Why are there all those buttons on a camera and how to use them to take better pictures. One hour beginning at 6:00 pm on Feb 20th before the February PPC meeting.
4. The equipment (camera, tripods, lenses, filters, spares, personal items, gadgets, etc.) which should be in a 'camera bag' – which, why and how to use them. Two hours beginning at 7:00 pm on Mar 5th.
5. What do you do when it rains and other ideas on composition. One hour beginning at 6:00 pm on Mar 19th before the March PPC meeting.
6. A hands on orientation to Lightroom to enable simple editing by the participants and high lightingways to spend less time post-processing and more fun out taking better pictures. Two hours beginning at 7:00 pm on Apr 2nd – say what, that’s my birthday.
There is no cost, nor required equipment, but you must be a member of PPC, Heard Nature Photographers or Dallas Camera Club to participate. If needed, you can join PPC on Jan 16th.
If you are interested in joining this Study Group, please sign up with or direct any questions to Bud Mallar at firstname.lastname@example.org
Contest Mentoring For Beginners
Led by Larry Petterborg.
Class Is Full. No New Participants.
One of the best ways to become a better photographer is to participate in the monthly club competitions. Preparing for and entering the contests each month stimulates creativity and fosters learning. Searching for and creating competition images on a regular basis helps develop photographic skills that carry over into your personal non-competitive work.
Contest Mentoring for Beginners(limited to 3-4 “entry” level photographers) is a new class that is designed to aid inexperienced club members in the competition process from selecting and processing entries for maximum impact to submitting files. We will work on and turn in photos for an entire contest year (May 2019 to March 2020) with the principal objective of accumulating and refining photographic knowledge through participation in the competition process. (Larry has over 30 years’ experience in camera club competitions as a competitor, observer, and a judge.)
- The class will start on February 21; participants are expected to attend the final session of the Developing a Critical Approach class on "What Contest Judges Look For" as an introduction. Mentoring will take place both in person prior to regular club meetings and via email. There may also be field trips scheduled to capture potential contest images.
- Each participant will share photos for evaluation and feedback every month prior to submitting to the respective contests.
- A $25.00 fee to help cover the cost of two contest prints; payment must be made in advance.
If you have any questions or wish to register, please email Larry at email@example.com